Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Day 13 - 27 wks, 2 days - "Might" is my new favorite word!!!

Yes, "might" is my new favorite word!!!  "You might be able to go home next Monday" was the BEST sentence I have heard in 13 days!!!

So the morning was really long today.  I didn't have an actual appointment to see Dr. Albert, his nurse was going to call and say that they are ready for me, when they were ready for me.

I waited...and waited...and waited...and waited...

Until FINALLY at 3:10 I was called over.  I hop in the wheelchair and get a minutes ride of freedom to Dr. Albert's office.  I am allowed to walk to the sono room, but then I am instructed to lay down on the bed thing and wait.

I wait...and wait...and wait...and wait...

40 minutes pass and I am still waiting.  Now, here I am, pretty much un-clothed from the waist down except for a sheet, in a room that is cold enough to hang meat, laying on a bed that literally is nothing by plywood wrapped in plastic (I will NEVER say anything bad about my hospital bed again).  45 minutes into my wait Joey and Liam show up =)  20 more minutes pass while Joey reads magazines and I watch Liam play with some toy cars.  FINALLY, Dr. Albert and his nurse walk in.  He started by doing a sono of Cortlandt.  She is measuring at 2lb 4oz and is in the 75 percentile.  He does other measurements and calls out numbers that his nurse types into her laptop. I have no idea what they mean, but he says that she looks perfect =)  While all of this is going on, Liam is sitting in Joey's lap staring at the screen asking question upon question, "what that Daddy?", "what he doing Daddy?", "why baby moving lot Daddy?".  Then Dr. Albert lets us hear her heartbeat.  Liam's eyes got big and he asked "What that noise Daddy?".  Joey told him that it was the babies heartbeat and he wanted to hear it again.  After the appointment he kept talking about it and making what he thought was a heartbeat sound, soooo cute!!!

So after checking Cortlandt out, Dr. Albert then turned his attention to doing a sono of my cervix.  Our hope was that we would see some improvement in the length of the cervix.  Well thank goodness we did!!!  Now think of this, an average cervix @ 20 weeks of pregnancy is about 40 millimeters and @ 34 weeks of pregnancy it is about 34 millimeters.  My cervix @ 25 wks 4 days was somewhere between 27-28 millimeters...talk about scary!!!  So a 3 millimeter gain is good, not great, but good.  Dr. Albert’s exact words were "This is what we like to see, bed rest is working!"  His next words made my day, "You might be able to go home at 28 weeks as long as you can replicate hospital bed rest at home and if the FFN test (preterm labor screener) comes back negative."

Now, I know what you are thinking...That one sentence has one HUGE factor in it, replicate hospital bed rest.  Now, we all know me.  I don't sit still well at all.  The past 13 days have been incredibly hard at times and very stressful.  But he actually said I "might" be able to go home.  I would not care if you strapped me to my bed and I had to have a liquid diet for the rest of the pregnancy...I would be HOME!!!  HOME with Joey and Liam.  HOME in my own bed.  HOME to supervise the completion of Cortlandt's room.  HOME for Christmas!!!

To be perfectly honest, a part of me is worried about going home.  Can I really replicate the bed rest that I have been doing in the hospital at home???  I honestly don't know.  I wish I could say "YES!!!" with no reservations, but I can't.  This will diffidently be a topic Joey, Dr. Watkins and I will be talking about over the next few days.  But still, just being given the possibility of going home is the best gift I could have been given today.


So other then this news the day was pretty normal.  My Mother-in-Law, Dawn, came by and brought an adorable outfit for Cortlandt with her as well as a little Nativity Scene for my room.
Cortlandt's outfit from her Nana

I also had a surprise visit from a dear friend that used to teach at Bright.  Susan came by right after I was wheeled over to Dr. Albert's office and the poor thing actually waited for an hour until the appointment was finished.  She got me an adorable little snowman to dress up my hospital room, we chatted for a while and Liam showed off =)  It was soooo great seeing her again!
Nativity Scene and Snowman =)

Here is the picture of my cross-stitch project I promised from yesterday with the finished "T"...
2 letters down...7 more to go =)

Well I am going to end this incredably long post and get ready for bed.

Hugs and love!!!

~Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. Things are looking bright!! My fingers are crossed for Monday.

    ReplyDelete